Sunday, September 12, 2010

Fear of Pop

I always liked pop music. Before I ever had a taste for punk or the more aesthetically challenging realms of Rock n' Roll I could definitely be said to be a fan of pop music. Blame it on my dad or whatever, but the musicality and almost ethereal magic of a pop song that works is undeniable. Some are about love, some are about robots, and most of the time their all saying things that probably don't really need to be said anymore. But I have to admit I still am a bit of a sucker for a good pop song, and today more than anytime it seems quite a feat to write anything resembling an honest pop song. Most of them are failures, but I think I'm still fascinated by the effort to try. Here's a few that are worth listening. Syrupy to sticky icky indie cliches is the spectrum, but I think for most part their all well written. Where has "alternative" gone? Maybe it's for the best...

Magic Kids - Hey Boy (what else could the title be?)
Girls - Lust for Life
A Conspiracy of Owls - Ancient Robots
Real Estate - Beach Comber
The Love Language - Heart To Tell
Dent May & His Magnificent Ukelele - Meet Me In The Garden
The Morning Benders - Excuses
Aerial Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Bright Lit Blue Skies
Tame Impala - Solitude Is Bliss


I don't know if pop is alive or dead really, but I think these are all undeniably pop songs.

P.S. I could have posted more videos by groups like Best Coast, or She & Him, but I've made up my mind and am taking a stand on those sort of bands, and their particular brand of pop idiocy. I just can't recommend any intake (audio, or visual) of their productions. It will probably do more harm than good.



2 comments:

  1. You should really also check out Ducktails, the lo-fi solo project by Real Estate's guitarist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Pocahaunted as a healthy alternative to best coast, if you are so inclined to reject them.

    ReplyDelete